The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is helping families stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps families in need afford home energy services and reduce the health and safety concerns that can be caused by unsafe heating and cooling practices.

LIHEAP is a federally funded program with budget and coverage specifics that are determined by each state.

In general, LIHEAP assists low income families in managing costs associated with: 

  • Heating and cooling energy costs
  • Emergency support in cases of energy crisis (ie. utility shutoffs)

In many states, LIHEAP will also help with weatherization and energy-related home repairs to reduce the ongoing energy costs per household.

LIHEAP funds are not typically used to pay water and sewer bills, with an exception when the water is being used for an air conditioner.

Who Qualifies for LIHEAP?

The amount you can receive in LIHEAP benefits varies at a state level and is determined based on household income. You can use the calculator available here to see if you qualify.

Individuals and family members who have already qualified for certain other benefit programs, such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) may automatically qualify. 

How do I apply for LIHEAP?

Contact your state or tribal LIHEAP office to inquire about the application process. Many states offer an online application. In some cases you may need to visit your state’s LIHEAP office in person. 

Related Posts

2 Responses
  1. Peter Bargmann

    I’m interested in any help available. I’m on full disability, snap an could us any help possible. Unable to work an dont have any transportation.

    1. National Disability Benefits

      Hi Peter,

      I apologize for the delayed response. Please use this link: https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/623 to find out more about this program. You might want to speak to your case manager about local programs/agencies that might help with that. Let me know if you need anything else.

Leave a Reply