Sometimes, unprecedented disability is imposed on people perhaps via an ailment or injury. The disability can be so severe that it handicaps the victim from working.
If you are in such shoes, we understand it can be quite devastating to come to terms with the fact that you can no longer actively earn to care for yourself and support those dependent on you.
But do you know that in New York, almost all employers are mandated to hold policies such as short-term disability policies that cover employees?
That's not the climax. Apart from the short-term policy, your employer may also have a long term disability policy that can cater for you long after the short-term dividends elapse.
You might need to enlist the services of an attorney to help you course through the processes of ensuring your rights are delivered to you adequately.
Here Are Some Things To Know About Enjoying Long-Term Disability Benefits in New York
- Must Have Been Actively Working Before Disability Incidence — in order to be able to key into the dividends of long-term disability benefits, you must be a recognized worker by your employer. With this, the law can easily mandate your employer to afford you disability benefits. Enlist the help of an attorney to help you check your eligibility for these benefits with your employer.
- Injuries Unrelated To Your Job — If your disability is as a result of an injury or sickness that does not pertain to your job/employment, you should be entitled to receive disability benefits from the NY State Insurance Fund.
- Start With An Application For Short-Term Benefits — As you may know, short-term disability dividends are ephemeral cash payments for eligible salary earners who cannot resume work due to a disability. Usually, these cash disbursements are limited to 26 weeks out of a 52-week duration. You get paid 50 percent of your wages eight weeks before the incident.
- Possible Coverage For Pregnancy — There are instances whereby pregnancy induced disabilities are covered. You will need an attorney to help you ascertain your eligibility for this kind of benefit.
- You Enjoy Long-Term Disability Benefits Only After Lapsing Of Short-Term — Should you still be unable to resume work after your short-term benefits elapse, you might be qualified for long-term benefits. Meanwhile, you will need to submit an application for the long-term benefits, stating the intensity of the ailment or disability.
- Your Income Determines Your Benefits — Usually, your benefit amount is evaluated and decided based on 66 2/3 percent of your regular earnings. Nevertheless, long-term disability policies tend to be different. Thus, you need to evaluate your policy to determine how your benefit amount is calculated to know how to move forward.
In a nutshell, you have a lot to tap into if you fall into a disability category. There are a range of other disability entitlements available. So do not hesitate to seek help from appropriate quarters should you find yourself in this situation.Long Term Disability NY